Complex Distributed Systems and Systems of Systems
Journal of Internet Services and Applications (JISA) welcomes submissions to the thematic series on 'Complex Distributed Systems and Systems of Systems'.
Recent years have witnessed a proliferation of end user and machine-to-machine (M2M) applications. This trend has been facilitated by a rapid increase in number and capacity of pervasive devices such as smart phones, tablets, smart meters, etc. It has also benefited from the ease of access to resources enabled by cloud computing. This has created a wealth of complex distributed systems that interconnect to exchange data, share processing, access control functionalities and offer advanced cyber-physical services to end users.
Such systems are often designed with a predetermined deployment environment. However, post-deployment environments seldom remain unchanged and systems come in contact with each other in ways that were not necessarily envisioned a priori. As such, there is a need for any distributed system to develop means of adapting accordingly by forming mutual relationships with other systems, forming a more complex system of systems.
This JISA thematic series provides a forum for describing innovative contributions to the conceptual and architectural design, implementation, deployment, and evaluation of distributed systems with the aim of facilitating complex systems of systems. The series presents novel research efforts and approaches in discovering and creating opportunistic relationships between systems such as big data systems, Internet of Things (IoT) systems, cyber-physical systems, M2M business applications, network overlays, and multimedia delivery systems.
Potential topics include but are not limited to:
- Design architectures for enabling the creation of systems of systems
- Programming abstractions and tools to support building systems of systems
- Symbiosis of non-integrated systems
- A posteriori identification of opportunistic relationships
- Formal description and classification of the ecology of systems of systems
- Forging impromptu agreements between systems
- Security and privacy concerns relating to reactive building of systems of systems
- Assessment of the trade offs involved: economic, performance, energy efficiency, reliability, scalability, etc.
- Applicability of systems of systems programming in different scenarios
- Resource discovery and sharing in evolving systems such as wearable, PAN, and home automation systems
Before submitting your manuscript, please ensure you have carefully read the submission guidelines for Journal of Internet Services and Applications. The complete manuscript should be submitted through the Journal of Internet Services and Applications submission system. To ensure that you submit to the correct thematic series please select the appropriate thematic series in the drop-down menu upon submission. In addition, indicate within your cover letter that you wish your manuscript to be considered as part of the thematic series on 'Complex Distributed Systems and Systems of Systems'. All submissions will undergo rigorous peer review and accepted articles will be published within the journal as a collection.
Lead Guest Editor
Etienne Rivière, Université de Neuchâtel, Switzerland
Laurent Réveillère, Bordeaux INP, France
Yehia Elkhatib, Lancaster University, UK
Submissions will also benefit from the usual advantages of open access publication:
- Rapid publication: Online submission, electronic peer review and production make the process of publishing your article simple and efficient
- High visibility and international readership in your field: Open access publication ensures high visibility and maximum exposure for your work - anyone with online access can read your article
- No space constraints: Publishing online means unlimited space for figures, extensive data and video footage
- Authors retain copyright, licensing the article under a Creative Commons license: articles can be freely redistributed and reused as long as the article is correctly attributed
For editorial enquiries please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Sign up for article alerts to keep updated on articles published in Journal of Internet Services and Applications - including articles published in this thematic series!