|Characterisation of organisational involvement in W3C standardisation||
• A standardisation organisation and larger enterprises are dominating involvement overall with respect to editorship.|
• The United States and other countries where the majority of citizens are native English speakers dominate involvement.
|Characterisation of organisational involvement over time||
• W3C standard development has proceeded over approximately 20 years.|
• A strong growth in number of standard development projects has been experienced over time.
• Larger enterprises have been most extensively involved over time compared to other organisation types.
• The United States have been continuously involved in standards released since the beginning of W3C standardisation.
|Organisational involvement in different technologies||
• Larger enterprises dominate by contributing primarily to the most highly ranked technologies.|
• Larger enterprises are alone editors in standards for 12 of 89 technologies
• Universities are alone editors in standards for two technologies.
• The United States dominate by contributing primarily to the most highly ranked technologies.
• The United States are alone editors in standards for 17 of 89 technologies.
• Great Britain are alone editors in standards for two technologies.
|Organisational involvement in relation to standard development time||
• Development time for standards is diversified and spans from a couple of months to 15 years for different standards.|
• There are significant differences in development time for standards involving different organisation types and countries.
• Standards involving research institutes have the shortest development time.
• Standards involving universities have the longest development time.
|Organisational collaboration in W3C standardisation||
• There is extensive collaboration between different organisations, types of organisations, and countries.|
• Larger enterprises have the most extensive collaboration with other organisation types.
• Larger enterprises and universities collaborate most extensively.
• The United States have the most extensive collaboration with other countries.
• The United States and Great Britain collaborate most extensively.
• The majority of organisations with extensive involvement have extensive collaboration.
• The level of involvement and collaboration is similar for the different organisation types.
• All countries with extensive involvement have extensive collaboration.